About the Program
Lighting Asia/India is an IFC market transformation program aimed at increasing access to clean, affordable energy in rural India by promoting modern off-grid lighting products, systems and mini-grid connections.
The program works with the private sector to remove market entry barriers, provide market intelligence, foster B2B linkages and raise consumer awareness on modern lighting options.
Lighting Asia/India will promote the value and presence of modern off-grid lighting.
Benefits of Modern Off-Grid Lighting
- Income by extending the working day of small businesses.
- Education by expanding the time available to children for studying.
- Health by reducing indoor air pollution, caused by kerosene lamps and firewood.
- Safety improved, by reducing fire hazards.
- Vision by providing better quality lights which are good for the eyes.
- Savings by reducing spending on energy.
- Environment by reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
Key Pillars of the Program
- IFC/World Bank developed an international quality assurance framework for off grid lighting products. It has been adopted by the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC)
- Product testing labs exist across the world including at The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) lab in New Delhi, the first in South Asia
- Detailed market entry mapping of specific regions
- Consumer preferences reports
- Briefings on market presence of quality products
- Market trends reports
- Identification & selection of distribution partners and after-sales servicing agents
- Skill gap assessments
- Technical and business skills training
- Training monitoring & evaluation
- Gender focused training
- Assist with supply chain, distribution and after sales service challenges
- Develop market entry strategies and business plansc
- Facilitate business linkages
- Facilitate access to finance (MFIs)
- Increase awareness and understanding of quality off grid solar lighting
- 360 degree integrated consumer awareness campaign including mobile exhibitions, school connect, retail connect, and women outreach programs
*IEC is the world’s leading organization for the preparation and publication of International Standards for all electrical, electronic and related technologies.