About the Program
The Lighting Asia/India program aims to increase access to clean, affordable energy in rural India by promoting modern off-grid lighting products and systems, and efficient DC appliances. The program works with the private sector to remove market entry barriers, provide market intelligence, foster B2B linkages and raise consumer awareness on modern lighting options. The program is present in the states of Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, Odisha and Assam.
The program is implemented in partnership with Australia, Austria, Canada, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Luxemburg, Netherlands and Norway.
Lighting Asia/India will promote the value and presence of modern off-grid lighting.
Benefits of Modern Off-Grid Lighting
- Income by extending the working day of small businesses.
- Education by expanding the time available to children for studying.
- Health by reducing indoor air pollution, caused by kerosene lamps and firewood.
- Safety improved, by reducing fire hazards.
- Vision by providing better quality lights which are good for the eyes.
- Savings by reducing spending on energy.
- Environment by reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
Key Pillars of the Program
- IFC/World Bank developed an international quality assurance framework for off grid lighting products. It has been adopted by the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC)
- Product testing labs exist across the world including at The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) lab in New Delhi, the first in South Asia
- Detailed market entry mapping of specific regions
- Consumer preferences reports
- Briefings on market presence of quality products
- Market trends reports
- Identification & selection of distribution partners and after-sales servicing agents
- Skill gap assessments
- Technical and business skills training
- Training monitoring & evaluation
- Gender focused training
- Assist with supply chain, distribution and after sales service challenges
- Develop market entry strategies and business plansc
- Facilitate business linkages
- Facilitate access to finance (MFIs)
- Increase awareness and understanding of quality off grid solar lighting
- 360 degree integrated consumer awareness campaign including mobile exhibitions, school connect, retail connect, and women outreach programs
*IEC is the world’s leading organization for the preparation and publication of International Standards for all electrical, electronic and related technologies.